CRITICAL REFLECTION

MODULE LEARNING:

Embarking on the critical thinking and communication module, I initially approached it with uncertainty about what I could gain. However, early tasks prompted me to acknowledge the need to improve my communication skills. Thus, I set out to bolster my confidence, overcome the fear of public speaking, and enhance my fluency in expressing ideas.

Throughout the module, I actively engaged with classmates, stepping beyond my usual social circle to participate in discussions in pairs or groups. Initiating conversations with new acquaintances propelled my interest in the subject matter. As the module progressed, I witnessed a notable improvement in both my presentation and communication skills.

Upon reflecting on my journey through the module, I recognized the profound influence of the Paul-Elder framework, incorporating elements of reasoning, intellectual standards and intellectual traits into my learning process. By consciously assessing the purpose, questions, information, interpretation, concepts, assumptions, implications and point of view in my communication endeavors hence gained a deeper understanding of the complexities inherent in critical thinking

Additionally, having access to the drive folder containing all class activities proved to be invaluable. This resource allowed me to thoroughly review instructional materials and reference examples when working on assignments, such as technical reports. Being able to browse through these materials enhanced my understanding of the subject matter and facilitated the application of learned concepts in practical contexts. Access to the drive folder not only provided convenience but also served as a learning resource that supported my academic growth throughout the module. 

A pivotal aspect of my progress stemmed from Professor Brad's teaching methods, particularly the practice of reading aloud in class. Initially seeming trivial, these activities gradually bolstered my confidence, making class participation feel increasingly natural. Additionally, incorporating feedback into my learning process proved instrumental in my ongoing development.

As the module nears its conclusion, I find myself conversing and presenting with newfound confidence. Moving forward, I am committed to applying the skills I've acquired, actively seeking feedback to further refine my abilities in critical thinking and communication. This module has provided me with a solid foundation upon which to build as I continue to develop as a critical thinker and effective communicator in both academic and professional contexts.

PROJECT LEARNING:

Participating in our research project to enhance X2 MR smart glasses provided valuable insights beyond technical content. While the technical report was challenging, it was the presentation aspect that truly tested my abilities and pushed me out of my comfort zone.

Standing in front of a large audience to present our research findings induced a wave of nervousness, unlike anything I had experienced before. The pressure to deliver a compelling presentation weighed heavily on my mind, especially knowing that my performance could impact the perception of our project's feasibility.

My presentation skills, which I had previously thought were adequate, were quickly put to the test as I struggled to overcome stage fright. I feared that my introduction would fall flat, potentially jeopardizing the overall impact of our presentation. Professor Brad's emphasis on the importance of introductions and conclusions echoed in my mind, urging me to strive for excellence despite my nerves.

Seeking guidance from resources like Garr Reynolds' presentation tips, I diligently created a detailed script for the presentation, aiming to ensure clarity and coherence in the delivery. However, when it came time to present, my nerves overwhelmed me, causing me to deviate from the script and speak too quickly. Despite my thorough preparation, my anxiety hindered the presentation flow resulting in a shorter duration of around 11 minutes. This deviation from the planned script left me concerned about the adequacy of the information delivered to the audience.

Nevertheless, the experience taught me invaluable lessons about the art of public speaking and presentation delivery. It underscored the importance of preparation, poise, and confidence in effectively communicating complex ideas to an audience. While I may have faltered during this presentation, I am grateful for the opportunity to learn and grow from the experience, knowing that it will better prepare me for future academic and professional endeavors.


Comments

  1. Thank you very much, JiaHui, for this highly detailed and insightful reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts